Sunday, September 17, 2017

St. Kitts - Nevis Independence 34 Address By Reverend Khrystus V. K. Wallace

Reverend Khrystus V. K. Wallace, Founder and President of KVK ENTERPRISES - www.kvklives.com and Dare 2 Be Different International - www.daretobedifferentskn.com


Principal Roger Woodley, The Management Team of The Verchilds High School, Staff, Students, good morning. I am humbled on one hand, yet quite elated on the next to  have been called by Sir William Vincent Hodge, Permanent Secretary in The Ministry of Education to address your minds today on the topic for this year’s 34th Anniversary of Independence in our beloved country St. Kitts - Nevis. 

I honestly think that those who were responsible for selecting this year’s theme did a wonderful, wonderful job. The theme: Youth, Vision, Integrity: Securing our Nation’s Prosperity.
Before I get into the meat of this presentation, I must register thanks and praises to this my Alma Mata The Verchilds High School. It is this secondary school along with my Primary School The Dr. William Connor Primary School that is responsible for where I am today. It was right here at Verchilds that one of my former Principals Mrs. Marilyn Rogers and English Literature Teacher Mrs. Dorothy Warner pulled me from my second form class along with Verlena Wrensford to be this school’s debating team. Since then, I became highly interested in public speaking and since I was always heavily involved with GOD and CHURCH  WORK, I was inspired to start preaching. 

My youth leader then at The Antioch Baptist Church, Evangelist Laurence Knight gave me my first opportunity to preach in February 2002 while I was in 5th Form preparing for CXC exams. Since then, I’ve been preaching and have my own global gospel ministry called Dare 2 Be Different International and I travel the world giving motivational speeches.

Before I start though, I want you to know that I have passed through the hands of DOZENS of teachers and I have selected Mrs. Jonace Hall-Herbert as my favorite teacher. She taught me English Literature and I fell in LOVE with her because she was always down to earth, real, frank and RAW. CHEERS Ms. Hall.

To help us properly understand and discuss this year’s Independence theme, kindly permit me to define the key terms of the topic.

Youth: the period between childhood and adult age. Who we call YOUNG  PEOPLE. Different parts of the world classify youth from different ranges. For the United Kingdom, the average response was that you stop being young at 35, and start being old at 58. But the figures also showed that opinions differed among the age groups. Younger people, those aged 15 to 24, thought youth ended at just 28 and old age began at 54

Vision is an experience of seeing someone or something in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition.

Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

The Nation under review is: St. Kitts – Nevis

Prosperity is the state of being prosperous or SUCCESSFUL
As a prelude to our discussion today, let me give you a little history of the how St. Kitts – Nevis got to where we are today according to BRITANNICA.com

The islands of St. Kitts, Nevis, and Anguilla were united by federal act in 1882 and became an independent state in association with the United Kingdom on February 27, 1967. The islands were granted full internal self-government, with the United Kingdom retaining responsibility for defense and foreign affairs.

After the islands had assumed the status of associated states, Anguilla complained of domination by the Saint Kitts administration. In May 1967 the Anguillans ejected the Saint Kitts police and established their own council. In July of the same year, they proclaimed their independence. After unsuccessful negotiations, the Anguilla Act of July 1971 placed Anguilla directly under British control. On February 10, 1976, Anguilla was granted a constitution, and its union with Saint Kitts and Nevis was formally severed in 1980.

constitutional conference was held in London in 1982, and, in spite of disagreement over special provisions for Nevis, Saint Kitts and Nevis became independent on September 19, 1983. A drop in world sugar prices hurt the nation’s economy through the mid-1980s, and the government sought to reduce the islands’ dependence on sugar production and to diversify the economy.

Dr. The Right Honorable Kennedy Simmonds, the first prime minister of the independent Saint Kitts and Nevis, remained in office until 1995, when his People’s Action Movement was defeated decisively by the Saint Kitts–Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP). One of the early issues in the administration of the new prime minister, SKNLP leader Dr. The Right Honorable Denzil Douglas, was a secession movement on Nevis. A referendum was held there in 1998 on the question of independence for the island, but it fell short of the two-thirds majority needed to secede.

The nationalized sugar industry continued to slump and, after years of operating it at a loss, the government closed it down after the 2005 harvest. Tourism and the hosting of offshore financial and service companies became the leading income producers in the country’s economy. Dr. Douglas won reelection in 2000, 2004, and 2010 but was defeated in 2015 by Team Unity, a coalition of opposition parties led by former foreign minister Dr. Timothy Harris, who became the new prime minister.

With all this said, permit me now to INSPIRE you a bit. All of you are YOUTHFUL and BRILLIANT in your own right. No matter the class you were placed in, you can achieve great things. At this very school, I went to 1A1 then to 2A1 then to 3A1 then to 4A1 and after promotion exams, I was demoted to 5A2. After CXC results came back in August 2002, my School Principal then Mr. Elvis Richardson called me PERSONALLY and told me that I had returned the BEST  RESULTS and he wanted me to give the Valedictorian Address on Speech Day and that was the first time that The Verchilds High School was ever represented at The Cable and Wireless Chamber of Industry and Commerce Awards. Thus, as youths, I want you to recognize that some of us will be academically inclined, some will be more interested in skills like cooking, plaiting, carpentry, plumbing, computing and more. Some people will be both academically and technically inclined. 

We are all made uniquely by GOD and I want you to know that each of us is a SPECIAL and DIVINELY loved youth and be PROUD of yourself always. You are all born to be WINNERS.
I certainly don’t intend to preach a sermon today, but as an outside the box, down to earth, creative, real, raw and FRANK PASTOR, I must let you know that my favorite book is the BIBLE and this Bible says in  Luke 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. If you want tremendous SUCCESS to come to your life, seek after GOD first, be disciplined, associate with positive people of GOOD  CHARACTER, read, listen and watch positive and inspirational things. It’s all about how you TRAIN  YOUR  MIND as a youth.

I was always very interested in the world of business and entrepreneurship. At The Dr. William Connor Primary School, in Grade 5, I started picking the gooseberries and mangoes from our tree in our yard and taking them to school to sell. I didn’t do it because I needed money. I was fortunate enough to come from a family who supported me well. I did it for the fun and to keep myself positively occupied and out of trouble. Positively occupied and out of trouble. As a child and youth, I always kept myself POSITIVELY occupied and out of trouble. 

Having won a bank account with $200 from writing a POEM entitled: National Bank – I Do My Business There for the St. Kitts – Nevis National Bank 10th Anniversary, I was able to use some of that money at age 13 while at this The Verchilds High School and send it off to buy some T-shirt Transfer Paper from EBAY to start my T-shirt Printing Business. Thus, since primary school, I have always been in the MONEY  MAKING  BUSINESS. At age 31, I have never, ever, ever worked for anyone except on a CONTRACTUAL  BASIS for the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis under MY  TERMS. 

Today, I continue to run my businesses KVK  ENTERPRISES and Dare 2 Be Different International businesses and keep myself always positively occupied and out of trouble. What you choose to do with your YOUTH matters in life.
CHOICE and CONSEQUENCE.

Can I touch a little on having a Vision? Since I have been dealing with children and youths all my life, I have come to notice that many do not have any goals in life. Sadly many have no dreams. This isn’t the right path at all. From a child, I was always, always DREAMING. As a little boy, I always dreamt that I would start my own business. Guess what? I unofficially started selling in Primary School. I started KVK ENTERPRISES at age 13 right here at The Verchilds High School. 

I registered it with The Government of St. Kitts and Nevis at age 17 and then walked into The Development Bank of St. Kitts and Nevis at 17 with a DREAM and Mr. Sam Franks, The Manager of The Small Enterprise Development Unit was so impressed with my vision and entrepreneurial ability that he assigned one of his staff members to help me and I got my first business loan of $15,000 at age 17 and that surged me heavily into the world of BUSINESS. 

I decided not to travel but pursued and continue to pursue my studies ONLINE with DIFFERENT  UNIVERSITIIES as I  ENJOY  BEING  A  NERD. You see, if you apply yourself well, YOU  CAN  ACCOMPLISH  MUCH  AND  REACH  VERY  FAR  IN  LIFE.

As youths, I want us to know that you will make MISTAKES. It’s all apart of life. We live and we learn and grow from our MISTAKES in life. I moved a bit too fast in my life and made some financial mistakes. I have learned from them and at 31 years of age, I am more than ready to RISE  AGAIN. I want to implore you as youths to LISTEN to the older heads that talk to you and advise you. You don’t know it all. Failing to heed their advice sometimes causes hurt, pain and shame. I’ve learned my lesson the hard way.

Let me begin to come to an end as I address your minds on this 34th Independence Theme, “Youth, Vision, Integrity: Securing Our Nation’s Prosperity.” Youths, try your best to be honest and truthful in life. Try your best to be always spending time doing good and right. All of us are human, so there are times that we will make mistakes in life. Never be afraid to humble and take talking to and correction. It will help you in life. 

None of us knows it all. A good character will cause many people to respect you, love you, trust you and help you in life. Be youths of GOOD  INTEGRITY and when you make a mistake, never be afraid to CONFESS your fault or mistake and say I  AM  SORRY. None of us is too big to say WE  ARE  SORRY. Saying sorry can heal broken friendships and love relationships. Saying sorry can UNITE  PEOPLE.

Youths and Future Leaders of St. Kitts and Nevis, this nation belongs to us. We must choose not to let it go to the dogs. We must choose to be proud of who we are as a nation – as a people. We must be proud and never forget the work or our nation builders. Sir Robert Llewellyn Bradshaw, Sir Paul Southwell, Sir Joseph Nathaniel France, Sir Simeon Daniel, Dr. The Right Honorable Kennedy Simmonds, Dr. The Right Honourable Denzil Douglas and many others who toiled tirelessly and feverishly to bring us to this our 34th Independence. 

This nation now lies in our hands. Believe it or not, our leaders are dying. I watched my Daddy die on an ambulance stretcher right in front my eyes in our house in the wee hours of Sunday, 22nd January, 2017. That image is etched in my mind forever. Our grandparents, our parents, our country leaders and nation builders are dying. That’s the could truth! 

Thus, we must prepare ourselves to take the mantle of leadership in this our beloved country. How can we? Study your lessons. Listen to your teachers. Socialize and don’t get too antisocial on whatsapp and facebook. Exercise. Play. Attend Church and stay positively occupied. 

Seek after EDUCATION – that is the KEY  TO  LIFE  SUCCESS.

When we do this, we will definitely be securing our Nation’s Prosperity. May it please you all. Happy 34th Independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment