Saturday, March 8, 2014

Bronte Welsh Primary School's 2014 Sports Day Was Spectacular!

Boyds - St. Kitts
Saturday, 8th March, 2014
7:30 pm

By: Khrystus Wallace, Dare 2 Be Different International Media Department

If there is one geographic location on the globe where community spirit still exists, it is in Trinity Parish - St. Kitts - West Indies.

The Bronte Welsh Primary School Sports Day 2014 was SPECTACULAR!

Held under the patronage of a hardworking community sportsman and leader, Mr. Essington Watts, the community turned out in its numbers to see the small yet powerful school showcase the athletic talent of the next generation of global sportsmen and sportswomen.

There were only two competing houses. Red house and Blue house. This kept the atmosphere heated and each race under heavy tension to see who would emerge winner. The WEST  WORKS  TOGETHER!

The march past was led by the Verchilds High School Drum Core and I could have seen Mr. Terrance Edwards from the Tyrell Williams Primary School on the field assisting like it was his school's sports day. I almost thought that he was silently transferred, but that thought quickly died, as Mr. Anthony Wiltshire, Bronte Welsh Primary School head teacher, took the microphone and started arousing the racers and the crowd as the MC.

Everybody know that "WILTSHIRE likes to chat and bang he mouth! If you didn't know, well now u kno!" For my global audience, forgive my local patois, but the B.W.P.S head teacher is also a sports commentator, so he ran his mouth when ever the power was on, as there were frequent power outages during the event. How Sad!

I keenly watched each race very carefully, especially because many of my Dare 2 Be Different Youths attend that primary school and they had already enforced that I must be present to see them run or they would beat me up. (I know they would LITERALLY (not figuratively) beat me up. That's the type of relationship I have with my youths)

Just like the Dr. William Connor Primary School's Sports Day, I could see that Mr. Wiltshire also had keenly prepared and had everything under perfect control. Everyone was working together! The races were one behind the other and flowed smoothly. Very, very, very good!

The crowd didn't get much time to rest from cheering and jeering and encouraging the athletes, because the police starter kept shooting his starter gun into the air and the children just kept on running and running and running. It was HEALTHY and FAIR competition in action.

Oh how we so need this in POLITICS!

I must single out a particular race with 5 - 6 year old girls it did seem. A youthful girl, fell while running around the track and her colleague opponents gave her a long stretch. I honestly thought she would have just given up. I saw it with my own eyes. This "NEVER GIVE UP" girl, got up, took the time to brush off and fix her pant even though she was way behind, then angrily fixed her face and started running as fast as she could, overtook everyone in front of her to come in at 2nd place. 2nd Place I say after such a long stretch. As she passed the finished line, recognizing that she didn't come in 1st place, she started with "one crying."

The crowd was cheering her on as she pulled back the race, but she didn't care, she wanted HER 1st PLACE. An official had to comfort her and lead her back to the team station! I had never before seen something like that in all my life. WOW!!!!!

No runner gave up! They ran and were all winners and never gave up! I was always in blue house in school, so I was silently supported that house in my heart. I could never have let any of my Dare 2 Be Different children who came off the field to see me and ask me who I was supporting, or ask me to buy something for them  to eat, know that, because of course, some were RED and some were BLUE. Therefore, having strategically been dressed in a GREEN shirt, I was always quick to say "Brother Khrystus is backing everyone to keep them ALL in high spirits!"

If you know me well, I like my belly and everyone is saying I am getting too fat, but, I couldn't resist, I had to spend just a little time by the bar. Not just to support, but to "FUEL  UP!" as I was standing for a long time. (LOL!)

The food was extremely great. It's something about the TRINITY  COMMUNITY AND  OUR  COOKS -  I  GUESS. Forgive me, that's where I'm from.

It was there, at the bar, that I was more than pleased to see Pastor Ronald Taylor from The Faith Tabernacle Church - Basseterre - St. Kitts, humbly serving and helping. He does have a child that attends that school. That really should be the job of pastors you know, the Bible says that they should be servants, but as we all can see, too many of them move like they are GODS in this the 21st century! Be very careful with that type eh!

The attendees, especially the ladies were overly dressed. Some were in team colours, while others wore their unique styles. YIPPEE. . . .I did meet some new female friends too. (sweet eye). So if you call me at nights and I don't answer, probably I'm pre-occupied. LOL

The children who weren't participating used the event to show off their latest fashions. The men were just dressed cool, as we chilled, drank drinks and used our eyes. LOL. LOL. LOL.

The community DJ, Anival Dias kept the crowd rocking to popular Jamaican dance hall music which did indeed add flavour and excitement to the event.

All in all, The Bronte Welsh Primary School 2014 Sports Day was Spectacular with Blue House emerging overall winner.

Community and school events like these help to bring folks of all walks of life and all political persuasions together and help us to UNITE. This is definitely what our country, our region and our world needs now more than ever if we are to survive these trying times and also EMERGE  WINNERS  TOGETHER!

Cheers to Head Teacher Anthony Wiltshire, his management team, staff, volunteering parents and community helpers for yet another JOB - WELL  DONE! Special thanks to all those who attended and supported the event. Your support goes to the betterment of the next generation of St. Kitts - Nevis Leaders.

To sponsor or donate to The Bronte Welsh Primary School, mail donations or school supplies to:

Bronte Welsh Primary School
c/o Ms. Clarice Cotton
Chief Education Officer
Church Street
Basseterre
St. Kitts

869-465-5134 (School's Number to reach Mr. Anthony Wiltshire)


NB: I owe my writing skills, in particular to all my English Language and English Literature teachers from The Dr. William Connor Primary School and The Verchilds High School, but I want to single out Mrs. Jonace Hall-Herbert and Mrs. Dorothy Warner for always going the extra mile with me, and stay monitoring my writings even up to today. THANK  YOU! I'll never be a perfect writer, but I'll stay trying. 

Global Teachers - Always GO THE EXTRA MILE WITH YOUR STUDENTS - It'll be worth it in the end

No comments:

Post a Comment