Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dr. William Connor Primary School 2014 Sports Day Was The Bomb!

Basseterre, St. Kitts
6th March, 2014 - 7:30pm

By: Khrystus Wallace, Dare 2 Be Different International Media Department


Schools, teachers and students need more POSITIVE media attention. This helps to improve self confidence and morale!

The Dr. William Connor Primary School 2014 Sports Day was the bomb! As I stepped onto the grounds of The Patsy Allers Playing Field, having paid my $5 to enter, the energy and enthusiasm in the air immediately got me overly excited. The gay colours certainly added much life to the sports arena.

I was indeed humbled to join my alma mater to see those younger than me, participate in athletics. I never got the opportunity to run for Sports Day at any of my former schools though. I guess I was always too slow and plus, I was always the nerdy type as you can see.

Teachers entered me into poetry and essay competitions, spelling B's, quizzes and elocution contests. Therefore, it always thrills my heart to see the youth do, what I was never able to successfully do - participate in athletics.

I checked the SCORE BOARD to see if my house - BLUE  HOUSE, was still around. It wasn't! With time, there is always CHANGE and I was sad, but yet still honoured because CHANGE usually suggests PROGRESS.

It was quite evident that Head Teacher Syder, her management team and staff were well prepared. I am an investigative reporter and monitor everything. Head Teacher Syder was more than relaxed, I saw, as everything was going as perfectly planned.

The folks at the gate were collecting the entrance fee, the attendees were nicely seated or standing around the field and off the field and not constantly disturbing the athletes, officials were busy doing there assigned jobs with the athletes and the athletes were following all instructions to the T.

That is good! Sound leadership in action. Cheers to Head Teacher Syder! Keep up the good work!

"RUN! RUN! RUN! "  "Let's Go _____", "Go! Go! Go!", were some of the phrases being shouted by cheering mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, teachers and fellow students, as those who were the highlight of the day - The Youth Athletes, participated in the various races.

I could have seen the team spirit in each race. Even those who were to the back of the race, still continued to exert their best running strength and didn't stop until they reached the finished line. I wish some of us ADULTS would learn from these little ones and NEVER  GIVE  UP, just keep on going, even when things aren't in our favour.

I honestly wasn't hungry, but it would have been a bit of a shame to see The Next Prime Minister of St. Kitts - Nevis attend his alma mater's Sports Day 2014 and not buy something to eat. I wanted something different, so I bought a goat water for $10.

Maaaaaaan, was that delicious! As I stood and ate it, I was tempted to ask Ms. Jessica Jeffers, "Who was the chef that prepared the goat water?" If I had mustered the energy and courage to do so, (ONCE  THE  PERSON  WAS  FEMALE), I would have asked them to marry me at the Sports Day. I remained composed and controlled myself though.

I said all of that to say that the food was good too, and I could see the camaraderie of the staff and school supporters as they kept the bars running well and in order. Great customer service indeed!

I honestly couldn't stay until the end, I had to return to base for our Dare 2 Be Different Victor's Club (Kid's Club) where dozens of children would be disappointed if I didn't show up. I can't tell you which house officially won the Sports Day, but in my books EVERYONE  WAS  A  WINNER!

The Teachers, the students, the attendees, the officials. The Dr. William Connor Primary School 2014 Sports Day Was The Bomb! It was evident that Head Teacher Syder had perfected using the TEAM Strategy. TOGETHER  EVERYONE  ACHIEVES  MORE.

The Dr. William Connor Primary School 2014 Sports Day Was The Bomb! How many times should I really repeat it?


APOLOGIES  FOR  THE  PICTURES - I  GUESS BY  NOW  YOU  KNOW  WHY  THERE  HAVEN'T  BEEN   MUCH  RECENT  PICTURES  IN  MY  ARTICLES. Still waiting for the return of. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment